Advanced Meta Tag Generator

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Once, when Lan and I were at Waterloo, they were playing some kind of Paul McCartney compilation.

"When I hear this, it makes me wonder what the hell people are talking about when they say they wonder who was the real genius in The Beatles," he said. "I mean, Paul certainly has a gift for melody, but his lyrics are just too sappy; he's just such a romantic."

I give you exhibit A:
You’d think that people would have had enough of silly love songs.
But I look around me and I see it isn’t so.
Some people wanna fill the world with silly love songs.
And what’s wrong with that?
I’d like to know, ’cause here I go agaaaaaaaain

Chorus:
I love you, I love you
I love you, I love you


Catchy? Yes. Unforgettable chorus? Yes. Possibly written by a retarded chihuahua? Yes.

Paul reportedly wrote this song in answer to his critics who said that he couldn't write anything but love songs. My guess is that he heard that and thought to himself "I'll show them!" and then he wrote this song and thought to himself "Oh wait a second, this is kind of a love song, too," and then thought, "Fuck it, it's really good, I'll just go with it."

Maybe I'm not giving him enough credit--maybe he did it out of irony. Delicious irony. In that case, maybe he is the genius that many people think he is, but everything he did was ironic, in which case he should be heralded as some kind of champion of irony, or something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home