Advanced Meta Tag Generator

Friday, March 04, 2005

Say You, Say Me

It's tough being a public figure. Everything you say is recorded, and people will often remember you for things that you meant at one point, but have decided against since that time. Here are some examples of quotes from public figures who ended up going against their earlier statements, although many of the later quotes may have been missed by most of the public:
"I categorically deny all charges of steroid use, and of any other drugs banned by Major League Baseball." - Jose Canseco, 1988


"I don’t recommend steroids for everyone, and I don’t recommend growth hormones for everyone. But for certain individuals, I truly believe, because I’ve experimented with it for so many years, that it can make an average athlete a super athlete. It can make a super athlete--incredible. Just legendary." - Jose Canseco, February 16, 2005

----

"[Rock music is t]he most brutal, ugly, desperate, vicious form of expression it has been my misfortune to hear." - Frank Sinatra, 1962

"I can't get enough of that wacky rock 'n' roll music!" - Frank Sinatra, 1993

----

"The personification of the devil as the symbol of all evil assumes the living shape of the Jew" - Adolf Hitler, approx. 1941

"Did I say that about Jews? I must've been drunk. I love the Jews! L'chayim!" - Adolf Hitler, approx. 1945

----

"I loved history, and pursued a diversified course of study. I like to think of it as the academic road less traveled. For example, I took a class that studied Japanese Haiku. Haiku, for the uninitiated, is a 15th century form of poetry, each poem having 17 syllables. Haiku is fully understood only by the Zen masters. As I recall, one of my academic advisers was worried about my selection of such a specialized course. He said I should focus on English. I still hear that quite often. But my critics don't realize I don't make verbal gaffes. I'm speaking in the perfect forms and rhythms of ancient Haiku. " - George W. Bush, Yale University, May 21, 2001

"You know, you can't discriminate. Freedom is not a discriminatory thought, at least in the White House--in other words, if you say, certain people should be free, but others shouldn't free. It's a universal thought, as far as I'm concerned." - George W. Bush, not speaking in the perfect 17 syllable form and rhythm of "ancient Haiku", Mainz, Germany, Feb. 23, 2005

----

"People have got to know whether or not their President is a crook. Well, I'm not a crook. I've earned everything I've got." - Richard Nixon, November, 1973

"Yeah, earlier, when I said I wasn't a crook? Yeah, what I really meant to say was that I pretty much am a crook. That's why I resigned. It wasn't like, health problems or anything." - Richard Nixon, on his death bed in 1994




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home