Advanced Meta Tag Generator

Monday, June 13, 2005

Mr. and Mrs. Smith, a new action/romantic-comedy movie starring Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, opened up at the top of the heap this week, earning $51 million in its first weekend.

The film seems to be about two good-looking people who blow things up, which, according to everything I've read, is pretty much true.

"When you see this movie," says David Denby of The New Yorker, "you can understand why the rest of the world thinks Americans are crazy. . . . The movie was made in the evident belief that if violence comes off as insouciant and zippy it will be taken as the latest in sophisticated fun."

Retired film critic Pauline Kael discussed in an interview why she quit her job:
They were just so terrible, and I'd already written about so many terrible movies. I love writing about movies when I can discover something in them—when I can get something out of them that I can share with people. . . . But I wrote up a couple of movies, and I read what I'd written, and it was just incredibly depressing. I thought, I've got nothing to share from this.

I've been reviewing movies and music for the site for about six months now, which is a very short time. I do it for several reasons: I'm interested in writing as a career, and I wanted to get some experience; I enjoy music and film; writing about music/film forces me to look closer at what I've just seen/heard, and helps me understand it more.

The prospect of watching movies, listening to music, or covering events that I'm not interested in as a journalist makes me think that writing for myself may be the happiest I'll be in this field. Now the only option is to become famous so I can write about whatever the hell I want to without having to deal with editors as much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home