Advanced Meta Tag Generator

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

A well-meaning but immature girl at my job asked me the other day why I don't like Death Cab For Cutie.

"Well, they're a pussy band, basically."

She made that expression where the side of the mouth goes up on one side, and the eyebrows furrow in consternation, symbolizing that she knew I was right, but didn't really feel like admitting it.

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean they aren't good," she countered.

"They aren't good," I said.

"I usually don't like bands that are all 'hearbreak and misery beautiful poetry,'" she said, "but I really think they're different."

"Nah," I said, "they really aren't."

"I mean, you don't have to like them, but you have to at least admit they're good."

"I refuse to admit that. They're not doing anything new or different, they're kind of whiny, and the same goals they attempt are done better by better bands who did it twenty years ago."

"Like who?"

"I don't know--The Cure?"

She made that face again.

"But that was twenty years ago!"

"Exactly."

"I think they're different, they don't sound like any other band."

"Just because his voice doesn't sound exactly like Robert Smith's doesn't mean they're innovative."

"Whatever, they're good."

"I don't want you to get upset due to a miscommunication, I want to make sure you know what I'm saying here."

"What's that?"

"Death Cab sucks."

"Shutup."

3 Comments:

Blogger Madge DoRightly said...

I still like them, but have not gone so far as to call them "amazing" since I heard better bands.You should broaden her horizons with a mix cd.

11:36 PM  
Blogger Lan D. Ho! said...

You should broaden her horizons by dunking her head repeatedly into a toilet filled with really yellow piss.

12:37 AM  
Blogger Madge DoRightly said...

Gross!

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home