Advanced Meta Tag Generator

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Spare Change

A few years ago, a friend of mine was walking down the drag with three hundred dollars in her wallet--a birthday gift from her grandmother for shopping purposes. She passed a bum, who asked for for some change. She didn't have any change, and she didn't have any bills, and in a fit of generosity, she gave the bum $100.

'I have lots of money, and he has nothing,' she thought to herself. 'I'll probably forget that hundred dollars in a month or two, but he'll always appreciate this.'

The bum was overjoyed.

"Thank you so much!" he said. "Oh God bless you, you are so generous."

My friend, feeling great about herself, continued to walk along the drag, and finished her shopping.

The next day, she came back to the drag--one of the items she bought was the wrong size, and she needed to exchange it. Since bums usually pick their corners, it wasn't a surprise that she ran into the same guy on her way to the store.

"Excuse me miss, do you have some spare change?" he asked.

She looked at him, waiting for a sign of recognition. None came.

"I'm sorry, I don't have any more money," she told him.

The bum was disgusted. "Fuck you, you fuckin' bitch. I know you have money. Girls like you always have money. Stupid bitch."

My friend was horrified. She quickly walked away and began crying as she paced her way to the store.

The moral here is clear: If you ever see a bum on the drag who asks you for money, punch him in the damned nose.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

One time I gave a bum all the opportunity in the world to redeem himself as a human being: outreach programs both state and church sponsored, educational oppportunities, lax bankruptcy laws and a populace the majority of which were trained from birth to "see God in the face of the poor".

And yet this bum STILL pisses on my buildings.

(montage of multi-ethnic faces)
I...
I...
I...
I.... am America.

Stop...
Stop...
Stop...
Stop pissing on my shit, you bums.

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too have a bum story from my youth... I started a job at a Chinese reataurant on skid row in Chicago, a man with a really moving story got $5 out of me. Said he needed it to get home after a drunk. I gave it to him. The next night I saw him on the street. The word of one of my co-workers came back to me: Fool!

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home