Advanced Meta Tag Generator

Saturday, February 11, 2006

I learned something about myself recently: I debate like a ten-year-old boy with a secret crush.

When fifth graders fawn, they're known to be mean or antagonistic: pulling pigtails, name-calling, throwing dirt balls, etc. In an argument, I usually want to exhaust all the possibilities. I don't let inconsistencies get by, and I push to make sure I've been fully understood. I often come off like a jerk.

Alternatively, if I don't respect the person I'm arguing with, I become a patronizing professor: stroking my chin and saying things like 'That's an interesting point,' when they make their claim about the benefits of a flat tax system or how good Garfield the movie was. In the same way, when those same young students are indifferent to others, they of course ignore them. The sentiment in both cases is 'Who cares?'

This isn't necessarily a unique or inventive new theory; it's just something I noticed about myself. Please don't let it stop you from wearing pigtails.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

Like a jerk? Really? I've always found you to be a rather respectful person in debates with me, as you sit calmly and listen to me, wiping your glasses and picking the lint off your tweed jacket...

2:21 PM  
Blogger Cibbuano said...

That's an interesting point.

*stroking chin*

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

who cares?

4:45 PM  
Blogger Christopher Zane said...

It's always nice for people to drop by and make insulting comments anonymously. Thanks for visiting.

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home