Advanced Meta Tag Generator

Monday, April 17, 2006

A few months ago I had a conversation with Ben while we were browsing for used CDs at Waterloo records during their annual sale.

"I just can't get excited about music anymore," Ben said.

"Uh-huh," I said absent-mindedly. "Have you heard this new My Morning Jacket album?"

"Nah. It's like I've heard it all before. There are some interesting twists on the standard tricks, but overall I just get bored."

I couldn't relate. I wasn't sure what to tell him, so I just walked up to the register and paid for my nine albums.

---


I go through cycles with that feeling though. Sometimes I feel like I've heard it all before, but often I'll hear something new or undiscovered and it'll hit me like a pillowcase full of bean cans. For the last few weeks I've been able to relate to Ben's sentiment, and no matter how much new music I've heard, I can't help but feel jaded or indifferent. Animal Collective, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Wolf Parade--these bands are sit somewhere between mildly interesting to typically overrated in my mind right now.1

One hope though, is Dr. Dog, a five-piece rock 'n' roll band from Philadelphia. According to their Myspace page, Dr. Dog is interested in "three-part harmoies, the out-of-doors, hoagies, vegetables and diminished chords." I saw them twice over SXSW week and was blown away both times. What excites me most about them, I think, is how earnest they are about their craft, but also how whimsical and light-hearted they are at the same time. Listen to "The World May Never Know" on that Myspace page to see what I mean:
Someone's alone, fell asleep on the phone
Waiting like a dog for a bone
How can it be that a fish in the sea
Can feel like it's completely alone?
The world may never know
My biggest fear, when I saw them, was that their incredible live performance wouldn't be captured in a recording. This is true from what I've heard so far (I haven't bought their albums yet; I'm waiting to get paid), except for on the above suggested track. Great use of Spector-like drums, charming melodies, and wacky-but-wise lyrics. Your thoughts?



1It's important for me to note that I'm not saying that these bands aren't any good just because I'm not excited by them. Some people are creaming their jeans over Clap Your Hands--should I be jealous or annoyed? I'm not sure.

9 Comments:

Blogger Cibbuano said...

Two things:

1) I can't imagine anyone disagreeing with Ben. Are you sure you recalled this conversation correctly?

2) What's up with bands and MySpace?

7:03 PM  
Blogger Christopher Zane said...

(1) I'm not sure if I heard him correctly. He might have said "I'm planning to drop a nuclear bomb that destroys all of the Middle East so we can build a Christian-themed fun park in place of former civilizations."
(2) Bands are Myspace's thing. They promote bands, offer free networking, and give tons of opportunity for props to DJs. Interesting thing about Myspace for all you naysayers--the thing has over 45 million users and gets more hits per day than Google. Love it or hate it, it's a force. And it features pictures of cute girls in skimpy attire getting drunk and posing for semi-naughty pictues on their webcams.

7:55 PM  
Blogger D to tha L I C T said...

Word. MySpace is pretty effective networking, if you ask me. It's pretty versatile.

Zane, what's your MySpace page?

Oh yeah, and I think the Gnarls Barkley album is going to be sick (http://www.myspace.com/gnarlsbarkley) and I'm kind of into Lady Sovereign right now, or at least the remixes I've heard.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

(1) What I said was, "I'm getting bored with music so therefore I'm thinking about waging a Crusade in the Middle East." I never said bombs, I'm all about swords and chainmail, strictly oldschool. You always mishear me!

(2) Dr. Dog, it's great!


I've been thinking of making a MySpace page for Joey Honey music, but I've been bored with music lately, so I'm working on this plan, and it involves the Middle East...

11:11 PM  
Blogger Cibbuano said...

I don't think I'm ever going to 'jive' with MySpace. Not when there's rampaging Catholics in the Middle East. Who will save the suicide bombers?

I'm all for semi-naughty pictures and free music samples, but I can't control my irritation EVERYTIME I go to MySpace.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Christopher Zane said...

You can hit a brutha up on myspace.com/christopherzane.

4:53 AM  
Blogger Cibbuano said...

here's an animated short for all you MySpace lovers (from my blog)

1:37 AM  
Blogger Cibbuano said...

You. Post pictures of nudist camp.

Or more email exchanges with nymphomaniacal wives.

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I often feel bored and unmove by movies and movie choices. But a collection of new releases on Verve label I recently acquired, has me excited about SOME new music. I recommend most of what I've heard so far. Daddo

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home