Advanced Meta Tag Generator

Saturday, July 08, 2006

I had an argument a couple of months ago on whether or not "google" should be added to the dictionary as a verb. I argued that it shouldn't, because even though Google is an extremely powerful and helpful company, they haven't been around long enough to necessitate a dictonary-approved verb.

"To make it into the dictionary, a word has to be more than a flash-in-the-pan fad. It needs staying power," the Associated Press says of Merriam-Webster's thought process.

The Internet is changing languages at a faster rate than ever before, and I feel like as long as words like "website" (Associated Press says it should be "Web site") are being debated, we're probably not ready to add another copyrighted word as a verb (like xerox, escalator, kleenex, etc.)

Well, stupid Merriam-Webster ignored my well-heeded advice and put it in there anyway. Along with "unibrow"--and why the hell wasn't "unibrow" in there already? What the hell else was I supposed to call it when I don't pluck my eyebrow?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home