Advanced Meta Tag Generator

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

From Commentary magazine:
Some friendships die on their own, of simple inanition, having been quietly allowed to lapse by the unacknowledged agreement of both parties. Others break down because time has altered old friends, given them different interests, values, points of view. In still others, only one party works at the friendship, while the other belongs to what Truman Capote called (in a letter to the critic Newton Arvin, his ex-lover) “some odd psychological type . . . that only writes when he is written to.” And then of course there are the friendships that end when one friend betrays or is felt to betray the other, or fails to come through in a crisis, or finds himself violently disputing the other on matters of profoundest principle.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

Hyperintellectuals are somewhat gaywadish. Or maybe just really immature. What's that all about? Tiffs and rifts and clashes and dinners ruined. It's like they didn't get enough of that crap in highschool.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Cibbuano said...

that's what makes them better than us, and licenses them to roll their eyes when we talk about how the Da Vinci code was 'so good'.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

DA VINCI!! Don't make me break out my Kalishnikov--the mere mention of that book sends me into Catholic Jihad mode.

As a matter of fact, I'm gonna go jihad right now.

12:44 AM  
Blogger Cibbuano said...

chill, man, I dislike it as much as you do.

well, maybe not as MUCH as you... after all, 'hell hath no fury greater than Joey scorned'.

I just dislike it because it's a shallow book with pasted-together conspiracies. I'm reading the Name of the Rose right now, and it's like taking history and religious studies all at once. And I realized that I don't know enough to appreciate what's going on.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Ok... back from jihadery...

So is the book any good? I read the Wikipedia article on it. I guess it's a positive thing that the hero is a monk. Thought that doesn't really mean that they treat the Church fairly.

In fact, I'm gonna go on pre-emptive jihad, just in case. (To tell the truth, I just like jihading!)

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home