Advanced Meta Tag Generator

Friday, August 25, 2006

John has always been my dad's favorite, and I think that's what led me to be a strict John man myself. Through my experience learning about and listening to The Beatles, I've been in a number of debates with Paul-, George-, and even Ringo-lovers, but I always secretly felt those people were either stupid or just didn't know what they were talking about. Sure, Paul may be cuter, but John is an artist.

I was in Waterloo Records with Lan a few years ago when Paul McCartney's "Silly Love Songs" came on.

"When I hear this," Lan said, "it makes me wonder how anyone could ever wonder who the real genius in The Beatles was. I mean, if you just listen to everything each of them did after the band broke up, it's pretty clear that Paul obviously has a gift for melody, but is just kind of a sappy romantic at heart, and John is just a genius."

I recently read John's 1971 Rolling Stone interview with Jann Werner, and found what I think is an interesting coincidence:
John:I learned lots from Paul and George, in many ways, but they learned a damned sight lot from me--they learned a fucking lot from me. It's like George Martin, or anybody: Just come back in twenty years' time and see what we're doing, and see who's doing what--don't put me--don't mark my papers like I'm top of the math class or did I come in Number One in English Language, because I never did. Just assess me on what I am and what comes out of me mouth, and what me work is. . . .
Paul's career is obviously the more successful--he's the wealthiest man in England--but there's no doubt to me that Plastic Ono Band, Imagine, and to a lesser extent Mind Games, stand out over anything Paul did alone during or after The Beatles. Here's to my dad, for raising me right.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cibbuano said...

yes, but don't you think his post-Beatles stuff would have been a little less pretentious with Yoko Ono?

8:02 PM  
Blogger Madge DoRightly said...

Yoko put one of her well-known billboards up in Houston last week

"Think Peace"

She has had a connection with the place, she and John did court battles here over child custody with her ex. Come on cibbuano, give her a break...

Dad

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home