Advanced Meta Tag Generator

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Went to see the Austin premier of Little Miss Sunshine last night with Lan, TW, SYR, and HA. While we were waiting in the theater, two women sat down in the two remaining seats to my right. After a few minutes I pulled out my GRE vocabulary notecards.

"What are you studying for?" the chubby spectacled woman asked me after only a moment.

"The GRE," I answered.

"What do you want to study?"

"American studies."

"Got a plan B?"

Then she went on an unexpected lecture about graduate school, the pros and cons, statistics, and warned that I definitely needed a backup plan.

"Thanks for the advice," I said.

"I'm sort of a sesquipedalian myself," she interrupted. She looked at me as she said the word, checking to see if I knew what it meant.

"Ah," I said.

She seemed to be prompting me to run through each word to see if she knew it. Feeling uncomfortable, I did. She knew most of them. Upon seeing the definition to one she didn't know ("atavism"), she went on a brief monologue about the root of the word (which was mistaken on).

"Good job," I said. "A true sesquipedalian."

"Oh, you know that word? My mom taught it to me in second grade."

"And what do you teach?" HA asked, unable to take it anymore.

"Textiles and apparel," she said.

Then the movie came on.

4 Comments:

Blogger Madge DoRightly said...

How delightfully insufferable!
And how was the movie?

2:05 AM  
Blogger Christopher Zane said...

It had really great moments, and I'm glad I watched it. I'm not sure I would buy it, but I would watch it again if a close friend wanted to go.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

Ah, sesquipedalian, from the Greek, meaning "One Hundred and Fifty Footed Alien."

My mom taught that to me in the womb. (Second trimester.)

A very useful word and quitely applicabilable to this particular textile-and-apparalian.

12:11 PM  
Blogger ProudMary said...

Jesus- that's bloody awful. Thank god for the ATAVISM of previews! Nothing i hate more than a blowhard pseudo-intellectual...

You were far more polite to even humor her than I would have been.

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home