Advanced Meta Tag Generator

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Quotes from Les Blank's Burden of Dreams, a documentary about the making of the Werner Herzog movie Fitzcarraldo:
Werner Herzog (Relatively early in the making of the movie): Without dreams we would be cows in a field, and I don't want to live like that. I live my life or I end my life with this project.

Werner Herzog (Four years into making the movie): Nature here is vile and base. Of course, there's a lot of misery. But it is the same misery that is all around us. The trees here are in misery, and the birds are in misery. I don't think they--they sing. They just screech in pain. It's an unfinished country. It's still prehistorical. The only thing that is lacking is--is the dinosaurs here. It's like a curse weighing on an entire landscape. And whoever . . . goes too deep into this has his share of this curse. So we are cursed with what we are doing here. It's a land that God, if he exists has--has created in anger.
I guess that's what happens when you film a movie 2,000 miles from the nearest town, at a location where a border war is taking place, using thousands of hostile natives as your extras and laborers. At least the movie is totally incredible.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

The more I learn about Herzog the more I think he's a douchebag... yet, he put his douchebaggery on film. And it's great. And this gives me hope for myself.

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home