Advanced Meta Tag Generator

Sunday, May 20, 2007

From a recent e-mail:
The whole "the rules are that there are no rules" part of UU--and greater still, of liberalism/"open-mindedness"--is a constant thorn in my side. It's the natural consequence of living on that side of the spectrum. Lan put it this way once:

"If you say you're open to everything, then that means that you're open to eating a pile of shit. Do you want to eat a pile of shit? I mean, if you do it, you'd be staying consistent with your stated beliefs, but--come on. It's a big pile of shit. You have to lay the line somewhere."

I told that to my dad once, and he just looked at me like I was an idiot. Maybe if I used Nazis as an example it would resonate more.

4 Comments:

Blogger Daniel said...

I think Lan is missing the point. I don't think being "open-minded" to an activity implies you are going to, or even want to do it. Many men are "open-minded" to homosexuals, but have no desire to have a penis inserted into their ass.
Does the whole debate depend on the definition?

4:55 PM  
Blogger Andiar said...

The idea of eating shit and using genocide in an arguement are about equal for me.

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Madge said...

I agree with Daniel and Dad. 1)There are better arguments against being completely open-minded and 2)Being open-minded to others finding shit-eating to be enriching is not the same as endorsing shit-eating. It's like Voltaire said about freedom: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Freedom, dude.Freedom to let others eat shit.

3:53 AM  
Anonymous Cubil said...

Actually, as I recall, I said you can take the extreme of anything and use it to disprove anything. A man can drink a glass of water and it can save his life. A man can attempt to live a breath water and it will kill him. So is water good or bad for us?

Dad

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home