Advanced Meta Tag Generator

Friday, August 17, 2007

Time seems to go by very quickly lately. Part of it is because I look forward to the weekend so much, so I don't spend a lot of time embracing each moment of my work day. Another part, I'm sure, is that I'm getting older, and everyone always says that time goes by faster as you get older.

This worries me slightly. As youth, we don't really think about the future a whole lot; we just assume that things will work out the way they should. When maturity sets in we quickly realize that fate won't just sort things out for us--that at some point, it doesn't matter how many softball games we play; we will probably never walk on to the Astros. That is, we have to start making actual plans to do things. We have to put ourselves onto a track that we can hope to be satisfied by.

It only worries me slightly because I feel like I'm still relatively on-track to do things that will leave me satisfied with my life. The anxiety comes from imagining that the decisions I make in the next couple of years will really determine what I do forever.1

But that's probably a lie. I had a conversation at a party last night in which the other person mentioned how exciting it was that we have so many opportunities to do different things in life. And I think that's true. The average person has, what, three different careers in his or her life? I should probably take some reassurance that I know a number of adults who have moved from job to job, who have sacrificed the corporate life to do what makes them happy. (Like Michael Totten, who quit his cubicle job to be an independent journalist in the Middle East.)

I should note that a lot of these entries where I explore a concern end up with me feeling a lot better about it/realizing there's nothing to worry about. But I guess this kind of narcissistic rambling is what blogs are all about.

MORAL: "Hakuna matata."

1In reality, this has always been the case, but I just wasn't so aware of it. For example, after I turned 11 and I wasn't spending ten hours a day in the gymnasium, it was probably evident that I was ruling out being a professional gymnast.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

Blessed is the man who doesn't secretly believe that he can be anything.

Paraphrased from Walker Percy's "The Last Gentleman"

10:57 PM  
Blogger Cibbuano said...

I think the worst part about getting older is that you can almost see the wall of opportunities shrinking for you.

When I was young, it was undecided if I would be a musician, an athlete, a designer, or a researcher. Everything was possible.

Now I can say with certainty that I won't be a musician or an athlete. Those roads are closed...

12:32 AM  
Anonymous Madge said...

I agree with Cib. With each year that passes I think, "well, I'm still ___. That famous author didn't publish till 40!" I'm just ____ and never wanted to be a singer anyway. But I could have. Or a tap dancer."

7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home