Advanced Meta Tag Generator

Friday, November 16, 2007

The first step in the process of self-creation is self-consciousness--being aware of yourself as an actor and taking control of your appearance and emotions. As Diderot said, the bad actor is the one who is always sincere. People who wear their heart on their sleeves out in society are tiresome and embarrassing. Their sincerity notwithstanding, it is hard to take them seriously. Those who cry in public may temporarily elicit sympathy, but sympathy soon turns to scron and irritation at their self-obsessiveness--they are crying to get attention, we feel, and a malicious part of us wants to deny them the satisfaction.

(Robert Green, The 48 Laws of Power, 1998. p.197. )

1 Comments:

Blogger sminfante said...

See, I consider myself self-aware, but I also tend to be very sensitive. However, I try to keep the crying in public to a minimum because I know how awkward/awful it is for other people, even friends. Whenever I have to be around paricularly annoying people, I always think about how they must not know themselves, otherwise they would see how they are acting and immediately stop. Maybe that's just wishful thinking?

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home