Advanced Meta Tag Generator

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Well, I haven't read any of the New York Times's 10 Best Books of 2007. But I do have Alex Ross's blog on my blog roll. Does that count?

I haven't been reading many books lately. Right now I'm reading:

- Martian Time-Slip, Philip K. Dick (Time spent reading: one week)
- A Third Face, Samuel Fuller (Time spent reading: two months)
- The 48 Laws of Power, Robert Greene (Time spent reading: since Ben suggested I stop reading Roth and start reading this book instead--blogger shows that to be two months and eleven days)
- Swann's Way, Marcel Proust (Time spent reading: about a year and a half)

I love books, but I know I'm not giving them enough time. I suppose it's not such a surprise--what with Rock Band coming out last week. (Best. Game. Ever.) The bigger picture is also not surprising--the bigger picture being that people don't read much in general. The tangible benefits to reading aren't immediately clear. In the long term, I see them to be:

- Become a smarter person (or at least know about more things)
- Become a more interesting person (or at least make people think you're interesting)
- Being interesting can lead to conversations with other interesting people, which could conceivably lead to . . . some sort of business opportunity?
- The first two things could lead to admiration from sexy/literate ladies and/or gentlemen
- A (probably) false sense of superiority over people who don't read
- The option to complain about people who don't read

On the other hand, you could just fake it.

Any benefits that I'm forgetting?

7 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

zomg! i was kidding about the 48 laws of power thing... though pretty much ANYTHING is better than reading a bunch of roth.

1:58 AM  
Blogger Christopher Zane said...

I was like 90% sure you were joking about that, but I wanted to read it anyway. Some of it seems pretty opposite of your general worldview.

1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well that stands to reason Chris, why else would Christans be so powerless!

-Andy

3:46 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

"Some of it seems pretty opposite of your general worldview."

Law 34: "Bag it before you tag it.", clearly against Church teaching on contraceptives.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Miss Lovelady said...

Yes, but I read two from the 06 List and I'll tell you what: the joke was on me.

I like sexy/literate people. That's why I read Dan Brown. I think he may be on to something...

12:41 AM  
Blogger louboutin Link Exchange said...

As was evident in most other collections, sandals were
Brian atwood boots flat, open and strappy.

5:23 AM  
Blogger louboutin Link Exchange said...

For more elegant occasions, the tone-on-tone technique still works,
Brian atwood maniac
with skirt, hose and christian louboutin pumps in the same colour for a sleek finish.

5:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home