Advanced Meta Tag Generator

Friday, January 25, 2008

Dammit

The New York Times Editorial Board endorsed Hillary Clinton for the Democratic nominee.

What a disappointment. The Times made a competent case for Hillary, and they made it clear that they had a great deal of respect for Obama, but I think the endorsement is the safe choice, and an uninspired one.

I don't like her on health care, I don't like her on education, and her whole involvement in video game violence a few years ago didn't endear her to me at all. She's the closest thing we have to a status quo candidate, and it makes me sad that we may be squandering a great opportunity for change.

Policy aside, were Hillary to get the Democratic nomination, I think she'd be more open to a Republican defeat than Obama would. People just don't like her; I've heard more than one person promise to stay home on voting day if she gets the nomination. Obama inspires voters, and that's important.

They also endorsed John McCain as the Republican candidate, for what that's worth.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Sabrina said...

It makes me so disgusted that all the negative comments I've ever heard about her have to do with her marriage, or the fact that she's an ambitious woman (e.g., "I won't vote for that bitch," or calling her "gross,"). I have yet (besides your post) to hear someone come up with a semi-intelligent argument based on anything other than her personality to explain why it wouldn't be good to vote for her. NO ONE is going to be perfect, and I don't think voters are ready to accept that. I also think it'd be ridiculous to have a Republican president as a result of voters pouting because Obama didn't get the Democratic nomination. Bush is a total idiot and somehow we managed to keep him as the head of our government for 8 years, what does that say about our judgment? I feel for people who are not as sure about putting our country into inexperienced or somewhat unsure hands, although I also appreciate actual, REAL change, which Obama seems to want to initiate.
I don't even know who I want to win or who I will vote for in November, I just get so tired of all the crap that goes along with political races!

8:38 PM  
Blogger Christopher Zane said...

Obviously you'll vote for the Dem in November; who'll you vote for in March?

I'm not sure that voters can't accept an imperfect candidate; I think only voters on the fringe over everyday society thought Bush or any other president was perfect. Hillary has a lot of qualities that are just plain unlikable. It may seem unfair, and it's arguable whether that's ultimately important to the job she would do in the White House, but personality matters in elections.

I think that the people who would stay home vs. voting for Hillary aren't Democrats. They're people who vote when they feel moved to--they're moderates or know-nothings. And although I will almost certainly never vote Republican (unless it's a spoiler vote in a primary), I will say that those voters could be given a little latitude because even though the alternative is a Republican, it's a non-Bush Republican, which is at least some consolation.

There's a certain Zen in making peace with all the crap that goes along with political races. At this point, I feel like getting angry at political mudslinging is like getting mad at the rain or something. It's just the way it is.

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home