Advanced Meta Tag Generator

Sunday, August 31, 2008

I'm again reminded of how rarely people know what they're talking about, and how rarely they mean what they say. A banal example: I once knew a girl who said that she had a great sense of humor, and enjoyed film. When she told me her favorite movie was My Best Friend's Wedding, I felt like it was a betrayal to the phrase "great sense of humor" and "film."

Maybe what I'm really annoyed with is how easy it is to keep up appearances by talking about film, fashion, social issues, popular literature, and music, when it takes a good deal of work to hold a significant understanding of any of these things.

Then again, I'm probably a little sensitive to this right now because I've hardly been able to spend any time on these things lately, and know what I'm missing out on because it has been such a huge part of my life in the past.

But things, as Lan reminded me recently, change: "If you told me I would be spending $400 on a jacket a year ago, I would have laughed at you," he said. "But here I am."

1 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

One of the great lessons I learned earlier in my twenties is when I don't know what I'm talking about it is helpful to shut the f-ck up.

You would think that would be an obvious thing to do, but time and again I catch myself just straight bullshittin'. A bad Texas habit?

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home