Advanced Meta Tag Generator

Monday, April 19, 2010

When I read the below quote (from Unbearable Lightness of Being) I begin to feel like there are really only two ways of living: in acceptance of or in rebellion/betrayal to.

When we leave childhood we all accept or betray the lifestyles our parents taught us. When we leave a relationship we either accept or betray the things we've learned about being in love with that person.

I felt a little depressed a few years ago after watching a touring modern art retrospective in Houston. Each artistic "movement" seemed to exist only in reference to the movement before it. It seems that way with everything.

I do have some sense of interest in discovering "truly" original ideas, but most of the time I figure it doesn't really matter in the end.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

What's all this atheist talk here?

10:50 PM  
Blogger Christopher Zane said...

Hmmmm. To clarify, I don't mean that "nothing matters." I mean that the existence of "truly" original ideas doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, and it's nothing to get too hung up on.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Lan D. Ho! said...

In an interview, Brian Eno said that the most experimental pop music was "94 percent derivative."

Also, I recently tread through all the entries I wrote for 2006 (holy shit, I was on fire!), and I came across this one (which was originally excerpted from a letter I wrote to you, Chris): http://lanield.blogspot.com/2006/02/and-b-broke-up-few-days-ago.html

It certainly made me feel a little melancholy—me of the cold, steel engine in my chest.

4:48 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

There CAN be nothing truly original. There must be necessary references to some previously established meaning, and so in that sense everything is derivative of reality, which is not so bad, I think.

C.S. Lewis once said that the best way to be original is "to simply tell the truth as best you can." The originality will come as a consequence of you being yourself.

Not that you, or I, or anyone, are all that unique-snowflaky (Stuff White People Like shows that definitively), but if you try to tell the truth then at least you have that edge on all the other knuckleheads out there... most of whom are wasting time trying to be original.

I do get the gist of your, say, ennui, or... not ennui... the feeling that it's all happened before, and that the BIG AMAZING TIME that you thought you lived in is pretty much par for the course in all the ways that really matter.

Watch "Fast, Cheap, and Out of Control".

Read "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford."

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home