Advanced Meta Tag Generator

Thursday, June 09, 2011

My list of American musical geniuses:

Charles Mingus
Harry Nilsson
Thelonious Monk
John Coltrane
Captain Beefheart
Bob Dylan
Les Paul

And while I love Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Johnny Cash, (and everyone at Sun in the 50s and 60s) I hesitate to put them on this list. I'm more likely to put someone from Stax (Booker T., Otis, Sam Cooke, Ike Turner, I could go on). Ray Charles probably comes closest but I have to admit I haven't gone through as much of his work as I should.

This list provided, I have to admit that I haven't been able to think about music much lately, and this is just off the top of my head. Someone please tell me a bunch of people I've forgotten so I can distract myself for awhile.

3 Comments:

Blogger bgeorge77 said...

JAMES BROWN. ARE YOU SICK!? JAAAAMMMEESS BROOOWWNN!!??!

1:08 AM  
Blogger The Sanity Inspector said...

Do you mean "geniuses" or do you mean "my favorites"? For example, I can't stand rap & hip-hop, yet I'm told that there are geniuses in those genres.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Christopher Zane said...

I suppose I mean "geniuses." I don't necessarily consider all of these guys my favorites by any means, but I do respect them.

One of my biggest struggles is determining the difference between taste and objective quality. Do you have any artists that you think should be here? I'm intrigued.

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home